Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Andrew

Most of you have probably met my brother Andrew, and if you haven't I hope I've at least said something about him before.

Andrew is fourteen years old and he has down syndrome. Brown hair, brown eyes, short and slightly plump would describe him well. :) Sometimes cases of downs can be so severe that the person cannot talk, but that's not the case with Andrew. He loves to talk! He makes up names for people, ( mine include: miss hairdo, peas head and elephant, ) he also loves to talk about the weather. Although he still isn't always understandable, his speech has improved so much and he is learning to read.

Andrew and I have one big thing in common. Our favorite sport is swimming! I really should be thanking him, because my parents first joined the Rivi for Andrew. He swims with the Special Olympics swim team and I try to go and help coach when I have time. Andrew also enjoys basketball, baseball and bowling - all with Special Olympics.

It hasn't always been easy for me to have Andrew as my brother. He is different - he does weird things sometimes, or says embarrassing things about our family. I've gotten mad because it seems like all my friends have a sibling close to their age that they are close to, and I don't have that. But having Andrew as my brother has made me a stronger person. I know how to stand up for someone who is being made fun of and how even when someone seems weird on the outside, its really the inside that matters. Even though Andrew may never get married, and his brain will never grow older than a child, I love him! When my parents die, he'll probably come live with me - and I can't wait! :)

You can all pray for Andrew right now, last Saturday he broke his ankle and how has a cast and has to use a walker to get around. He's not allowed to go swimming or do any kind of exercise for at least 4-6 weeks. Pray that the ankle will heal quickly and that he won't get too restless just sitting around.

Quote of the Post:
"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt." - Special Olympics Oath

6 comments:

Charity said...

Ellie, that post made me cry. I will pray for Andrew. He is really special, and it is so good that he loves to talk to people so much!

*sigh* We still haven't talked... and we really need to. Call me when you can, because I seem to call at bad times.

Andrew said...

that's cool that having andrew as your brother has really strengthened you! I'll be praying for andrew

Maria JoAnn said...

Aww, Ellie that was a great post. I don't know what it is like to have a sibling with a disability, but I do have 2 cousons and an aunt, and they are are great. I will pray for Andrew. Luv ya!

erudil said...

God has some purpose or another for every person. It's really great to see how someone with such problems as your brother can serve God by helping and encouraging others!

Motor-B said...

wow...that was a good post. If you remember, i used to help with Stephen Johnston, and i think because of that i do have a special place in my heart for autistic people.

Nathan said...

'Twas a good post (good enough to comment and give you this 5 point bonus!) When I was at your house Sunday afternoon of FMP, Andrew and I played plenty of bball...'twas fun.