Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Screwtape Letters

"Here are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight." - Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

I am reading the Screwtape letters with Shannon for our Bible study time. This past week we talked about how real the devil and demons are. So far, this book has made it clearer all sorts of the things the devil uses to get into our minds and turn them from God. The annoyances of others, praying for someone's "soul" and distractions during church. There is no way for us to overcome the devil without Christ, so we need to be constantly asking Him to protect us from evil.

9 comments:

Tamara Rose said...

Good post.

That sounds like a good book. I was just praying in bible study the other day about how the devil is really atacking our church in a real way, and that we will never find away out of his trap unless we look to Him who saves us.

Its scary to think about, but its so real, and the devil will keep atacking us forever ('cus we have so much worth attacking) so we must put up that shield of Christ. He is our defence, and your stop on, we'd be no were w/o Him.

I hope you have a perfectly lovely day today. :) You're a beaitful girl. take care my friend.

love,
Tamara Rose

P.S. I liked your post from the 17th. Did you come up with all the Q and Answers? :) 'twas very good.

Maria JoAnn said...

Great post Ellie! Thats really cool. I really want to read that book, I was going to read it this year for school if we were going to homeschool, but that didn't happen. Hopefully I will read it sometime this year. I hope you are having a wonderful week Ellie! Love you heaps!!!

Charity said...

I want to read that book! I've been wanting to read it for a while...it's actually on my bookshelf now. I just haven't read a non-school book for a while (besides the Bible). I should probably do more reading in my "spare time" than getting on the computer or something. I always have these ambitions that never really seem to work out.

Hope you're having a good week. It's been forever since we've talked. :( But thank you soo much for emailing! I love you!

Charity said...

Hi. I love you a lot. You need to update. Bye.

erudil said...

It's been a long time since I read that book...I probably should read it again.

Charity said...

I am reading it now...I'm like 2/3 through it. I hope I finish it before school holidays end...otherwise I never will.

:o)

I just came to see if you'd updating--expecting that you probably hadn't.

I still love you! Talk to you soon, I'm sure.

Josh said...

I so want to read that book again.

Charity said...

okay, I randomly decided to stop by your blog to see if I'd missed anything...obviously NOT! Honey, you should update. You probably won't ever look at this, though. Darn.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.