Sunday, December 17, 2006

Beauty & the Beast

Last Thursday, Ruth, Cathy and I went to see Beauty and the Beast at the Civic Theatre at Marian. Cathy and I had purchased Ruth the tickets for her birthday, so we had been planning on it since December 1st. Our evening was fun. We went to dinner, to the play and then to Starbucks afterwards. The play was based of the Disney version, but also had songs from the Broadway score. There are plenty of comments I could make about it, but the one thing I want to highlight - that none of us realized until the next day - was the guy who played Maurice - Belle's dad.

For all the home schoolers out there, who have taken Wile General Science, Wile Physical Science, Wile Biology, Wile Chemistry and possibly even Wile Physics, this will be a surprise. Dr. Jay Wile played Maurice. In his bio it says, " Dr. Jay Wile is happy to make his debut with the Indianapolis Civic Theatre. He initially pursued acting as a career, but eventually decided against it. As a result, he took the next logical step and became a nuclear chemist. Currently, Dr. Wile is the author or coauthor of nine books." Personally, I was extremely surprised and rather scared that the guy who wrote all my science books was acting in a play, but overall I think he made a good Maurice. ;-)

6 comments:

Charity said...

THAT IS SO FUNNY!!! I can hardly believe it... And what a character to play! I went to see him do a talk about a year and a half ago and I thought he was a little...odd. But then again, he's a scientist, right? They're usually pretty weird dudes. Aggh, I need to talk to you sometime soonly! I'm so glad you updated. :o) I've been updating a lot lately, and not many people have been commenting...but oh well. Blogging is getting less popular. Kind of sad, isn't it? Well, love ya and talk laaater!

erudil said...

I have never read or seen any version of Beauty and the Beast, except perhaps a traditional Grimm version.

Andrew said...

i am speechless...

haha, wile...maurice?? heh, i've seen him speak but act?? man, i gotta get down there for his next show...lol

Lyndsi said...

Oh My Goodness!! That's incredible!
I wish I could have been in your shoes. It certanly surprised me!
Love ya! See you at winter coference!

Charity said...

babe, you are always commenting on my blog now...how ever am I to return the favor when you never update???

hehe, just teasing ya. ;o)

I miss you! And I love you! And you should really update! That is, if you want to!

...I think I need more sleep. Being in the same house/room with Tamara 24/7 should be illegial, I tell you!!!

Maria JoAnn said...

Ellie, that sounds like it was a really fun eveing. That is sooooooo funny about Dr. Wile. I just can't see him playing that part. Glad you guys had a fun time. This guy Ralph from our church was looking at some pictures on a digital photo frame that my borthers and father made mum, and there was the pic of you and Cathy and Ruth on the dress up night at WC and he says you guys looked like lookers and chicks. I laughed SOOOO hard! This is an older guy, and he is extreemly funny! I just thought I would tell you that. :)